Director, Data Science
At the intersection of technology, science, business and sports, STRIVR offers an end-to-end, VR-based immersive learning platform that changes the way people around the world train, learn and perform. With a mission to elevate performance through immersive experience, we are redefining an industry in real time and shaping the future of learning.
STRIVR was founded in 2015 out of Stanford University’s Virtual Human Interaction Lab, using the football field as our proving ground. Since then, we have quickly expanded from the athlete to the enterprise, partnering with leading Fortune 500 companies including Walmart, Verizon and Fidelity to innovate and elevate employee development.
More than just content inside a headset, immersive learning provides realistic, high-impact experiences driven by L&D experts, instructional designers, data scientists, and immersive content specialists. STRIVR offers the only end-to-end solution available today, bringing together the software, hardware, content and services needed to deliver effective training at scale.
Recognized by Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies for 2019, we take pride in our passion for innovation and we use that energy to fuel our work. Our culture thrives on teamwork, grit, transparency and impact, and celebrates every win. It’s an exciting time to join our fast growing team!
At STRIVR, our Data team focuses on leveraging data to deliver insights driven outcomes for our customers. In this role, you will have the opportunity to build data science capabilities from the ground up along with fostering a data-driven culture within STRIVR. You also have a proven ability to build and mentor a talented data analytics team. We’re looking for a data science leader to drive vision and strategy for all aspects of data, including long term infra investments. But you’re also willing to roll up your sleeves with an expertise in implementing both back-end and front-end data and analytics tools (RDMBSs, Hadoop, Apache Spark, Tableau, D3 - just to name a few).
- Develop and scale STRIVR’s Data Science organization and practice with the implementation of tools and processes that support and advance the work of the team.
- Mentor and guide Data Science team members (managers and individual contributors) to develop their careers, matching them to projects that balance their professional growth aspirations with the company’s needs.
- Lead a team of data scientists to explore & process data from disparate sources to generate actionable insights and evaluate tools & cutting-edge AI/ML/DL techniques to build predictive modeling solutions that improve business outcomes. Focus on Data-driven immersive adaptive learning to transform the way we create and deliver learning experiences.
- Partner with business and product leaders to define Data Science contributions to product development.
- Translate results, business value and insights to stakeholders in plain, business-centric language with easy-to-understand visualization to set expectations and drive adoption
- Build end-to-end data pipeline solutions and whenever appropriate, partner with data engineers to validate and deploy solutions in an efficient, sustainable and usable manner
- Master’s degree in a related field (Data Science, Computer Science, Statistics or other quantitative fields)
- 7+ years work experience in data science (data engineering, statistics, machine learning) with increasing levels of responsibility
- 3+ years leading a data science team (data engineers, analysts, & scientists)
- Expert understanding of statistical analysis, model development, and data science techniques
- Familiarity with data visualizations and usage of visualizations to articulate findings
- Ph.D in a related field preferred
- Working experience in smaller organizations and/or start-ups strongly desired